Monday, May 23, 2011

Electricity!!

This weekend was a pretty eventful one. I will have to upload photos later because I am at the school where it takes 9 hours to upload one photo. Overall everything has been going really well and I’m really enjoying the trip. It makes me really thankful for having constant electricity back in the states. Most of the time the electricity will go off during the day but last night it went out when it started getting dark until 11:30PM. Our family has a generator so the stove can work as well as a light bulb in the dining room so we didn’t have to eat in the complete darkness. Claire and I then went to Sarah’s while she ate by candlelight. How romantic. After that we went to a hotel that had electricity to get ice cream. We sat there for about an hour hoping that the electricity would return but no such luck. After feeling our way back to the house, we went to bed since both of our computer had died as well and we had no light.

Yesterday morning we finally got to go see the Mayan ruins. Unfortunately I’m not tan enough to pass for a Honduran yet so I had to pay to get in(locals get in for free). The 6 of us American students got a semi-English speaking guide so we had some sort of idea of what we were looking at. The Mayan city of Copan had a population of 30,000 and the city stretches over a large amount of land so I am sure we didn’t even scratch the surface of seeing what was there. There are several layers under each temple because each new king would build a new one on top of the old one. We did not go into the tunnels because it cost a lot more and multiple people said it is not worth it. We saw ball courts, sacrificing tables, and the “Mayan  book.” The Mayan book is a huge wall with over 1,000 hieroglyphics that has been reconstructed by archaeologists. It’s the only one of its kind in the Mayan cities. I really want to visit the other Mayan cities in Mexico and Guatemala now!

While I am here I am also getting credit for Concordia by doing a service learning project. This morning we helped out with a Kindergarten class in a public school and will do that a couple days a week and possibly next week as well. They go from 7AM to 11AM each day. It’s a lot like in the states but they have a 45 minute recess! Well, off to class!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, tans can get you in for free in many places! :P

    Sounds like a really fun trip Sam! I like your blogs! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electricity is good! I am eager to see your pictures, I bet it was really interesting.
    Brittney had a nice shower yesterday and received some nice gifts.Apparently the gift registry was not deleting items properly since she got three sets of the mixing bowls I got her.
    Today got into the 80's and no rain today. Kitchen cabinets are scheduled to start tomorrow afternoon and we are supposed to get storms over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww, I wish we had 45 minute recesses!!!

    ReplyDelete