Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Smás


Okay, I had to put Sarah’s clever joke as the title. In Spanish, más means more so she proceeds to say “Would the Spanish word for smores be smás? Haha?

I would really love to upload pictures but I forgot to take into account that the internet is incredibly slow here and that may not work so well. I know blogs are much more interesting with pictures so I understand if you all get bored reading these lengthy things! I’ll try to include interesting stuff!

Sunday was pretty much a day of exploring downtown Copan. The city is pretty condensed so we are quickly learning our way around town. We know where to get ice cream and that’s all that really matter! Sunday is the day that all the people from nearby villages come and get their supplies that they do not produce themselves and the streets were pretty busy with venders and people. In the evening we ate Honduran burritos which are called “valeadas”. ¡Son muy ricas!

Today was our first day of class! We didn’t start until 1:30 so after a breakfast of pancakes we went to the bank (complete with armed men at the door) and to a coffee shop called Espresso Americano. Both places had AC!!

At school we began by taking a 5 page test to test our level of Spanish. My professor is Sara and she has been teaching at Ixbalanque for 10 years! We spent a lot of time just talking about her family, Honduran culture, and a few grammar examples here and there. The best part was BINGO with Claire, Sarah, and their teachers. I won. It was neat.

As I mentioned in my last post, the electricity shut down for most of the day. Apparently the electricity system is very old and since Copán Ruinas has grown in population, it shuts down a lot. The increase in electrical appliances doesn’t help either! Since there is no AC and everything is well lit, you forget it’s off until there is no way to brew coffee! The teachers at the school love their coffee and were dragging without it they said.

I don’t know if I mentioned it before but the coffee here is great! There are a few major brands from local farms and I really hope we can visit one because it’s really good coffee. Breakfast would not be complete without a good cup of Joe.

Welp, that’s all for now. I miss you all! Keep me posted or ask any questions and I’ll get back to ya!

1 comment:

  1. You will have to bring some coffee home if you can so Dad can try it :) The photos from the next blog look very tropical. I can imagine that the coffee shop will be one of your favorite hang outs. Your room and bathroom seem nice too. I was telling Joe, our electrician about your trip and he said his daughter had gone to Costa Rica. Look forward to more blogs and photos. Mom

    ReplyDelete