Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Can't Even Think of a Clever Title for this One


I'm not sure where I left off in my tales of this trip but this is a picture of my professor Sara and I at Cafe Welchez one afternoon after identifying fruits and vegetables in the market. I love her! Most of the day we just talk about life (in Spanish of course) and I ask a lot of random questions and she usually has a funny story or two about miscommunication. My miscommunications usually involve stories about Vince. The other day I said Vince bought a new cara. She looked at me with a weird look and said "cara or carro?" I meant carro of course because cara means face! She thought he had gotten plastic surgery or something! Then yesterday I said he was 91 years old instead of 21. On another note, we are 1/3 of the way done with class!! Don’t get me wrong, I like class but it’s just like school back home…a break is always welcome.

Alright I suppose I should tell my story of the sign/horse/fall. Thursday morning we went on a beautiful mountain trail ride with some horses and a nice Honduran man named Don Chalito who talked the whole time. I have no idea what he was saying most of the time but he was very happy and seemed to know everyone who we passed on the way there.
Dolarita. My crazy horse.



On the way back instead of going back the way we came on the trail, he wanted to go a different way. Since I was leading, my horse went the wrong way and when I turned her around to go the right way, she did what any horse would do; walk under the nearest highway sign to get back to where we needed to be. Meanwhile, I’m going in slow motion (well, the horse was walking really slowly) seeing the sign approaching my face and the horse just kept going. I hit the sign, rip the sign off its jankity hinges, get hit in the face by the recoil of the sign and fall off. 3 seconds later (no joke), the little man leading us is scooping me off the ground asking if I was okay. All I could do is laugh! I had a cut on my arm (pictured below) and a small bump on my cheek but if that would have been on video I would have won America’s Funniest Home Videos for sure! The poor guy felt so bad and kept saying how worried he was and how sorry he was (even though he laughed the whole way back as well) that he offered us a free ride this weekend. I think I’ll pass, but it was still a lot of fun and definitely something I’ll never forget!
                                                               
Yesterday morning I went to a yoga class at the local bar. The yoga room was located on the second floor in the back (pictured below). The cat in the picture likes to join in on yoga and the instructor said he gets so annoying that they have to give him his own mat! He didn’t bother us although I wouldn’t have minded of course. There were 2 other students, the instructor and me in the class and she spoke both English and Spanish. I would like to go back next week but we start volunteering and I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it back. A class only costs 100 lempira which is about 5 US dollars. Not bad at all!
Yoga Room

Cat friend.


Today we took a mototaxi to a pool about 4K out of town to Hotel Clarion. We were the only ones there and for less than 15 dollars we had access to the pool all day and a meal. I had a pasta dish that was really good and a Coke of course. This afternoon we are meeting up with some other American students to make plans for tomorrow to see the Mayan Ruins. Luckily there are guides available in English so we will be able to get more out of the tour. By having a bigger group the overall price will be cheaper as well so that is an added bonus.

Some more random ones....


My burrito at Llama del Bosque.

Coke!! The simple pleasures in life.

Cute puppies by our school!

My view out of my classroom

Cafe Welchez during Scrabble.

Pretties!

The pool we had to ourselves!

Muchos bug bites.

Sweet looking purple plant.

View from the moto-taxi

Where I do my blog updates with pictures...internet is faster here than anywhere else.

Cafe San Rafael!

2 comments:

  1. Little do you know, I actually did get plastic surgery. The doctors say I look like a 91 year old that got in the face with a sign, however the swelling should go down and I should look normal again by the time you return.

    I enjoy reading about your travels and journeys, a blog was a good idea, I am glad you have the time to update it and talk to me through skype and email.

    I love you, can't wait to hear all the stories you will have to tell. You're leg looks like you may have the chicken pox...

    Have fun with your other US friends tonight!

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading about your adventures.I sent Dixie the blog link and hopefully she can get on and Grandpa can read too. Mom went up to Spring Grove this weekend with a friend but she said she has been enjoying your blog too!
    Been very rainy here for the last few days. Dad put the airstream For Sale ad into tomorrow's paper so we will see if we get any calls.
    I will be going to Brittney's shower tomorrow afternoon. Hope you have a good time at the ruins.

    Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete