Thursday, May 19, 2011

Las Primeras


Yesterday was a day of firsts…well they weren’t really anything astounding but Claire taught me how to properly use those squishy ear plugs and I found a wishbone in my chicken! I may start wearing the earplugs because last night I awoke with a fright to hear what I think were cats, fighting right outside my door. Then, at 5 AM I awoke to fireworks right outside my room and singing for someone’s birthday. Who gets up that early to celebrate birthdays?! Anyway, Claire had it worse than me because the fireworks were so close, she had firework smoke in her bathroom!

This morning we took our first moto-taxi to an old prison with watch towers. Good thing too because it was all uphill. Lorena’s daughter had her graduation party here and a lot of people have their weddings there because there is a lot of space and it’s a nice setting. There is a great view of the surrounding mountains.

I have really been enjoying my professor Sara because we do a lot of talking instead of workbook stuff. I think this is more beneficial because the reason I want to learn Spanish is to communicate and build relationships with people who speak Spanish, not to do grammar worksheets all day. This is important as well, but it gets old! I showed her pictures of my family and friends and she asked if Vince was Islamic or something since he is tan. I thought that was pretty funny. We also went to the market today so we could practice our fruits and vegetables vocabulary. There are so many fruits and vegetables here that I have never seen before. After that we went to a café and had ice coffee granitas.

After dinner I went to a local bar called viavia to see if they had any salsa lessons going on. No such luck. I DID see a brochure that said there is Vinyasa yoga 3 days a week at 8-9AM. I definitely have to do that! I asked if a lot of people go and she said it depends but it’s better when there is less people so the instructor can give individual help. I need to buy some exercise clothes, but I think I’ll try to go Friday.

Any exciting news back home? Today we went horseback riding but I will update on that later. Class time!

2 comments:

  1. I just read Claire's post. I hope you are really all right! Falling off a horse is bad enough without getting smacked by a sign too! Take care, I love you.

    ReplyDelete